Wireless output devices or wireless controllers that support wireless device discovery for establishing wireless connectivity
Output devices supporting wireless device discovery are herein disclosed and enabled. To setup an output device for wireless connection, wireless device discovery is performed by a client of the output device to discover the output device. Upon being discovered, the output device may provide or transmit identification or information related to the output device to the client for establishing a wireless connection. Subsequently, the output device may receive, via the wireless connection, digital content from the client for output. Wireless device discovery operations may be based on one or more of a close proximity wireless communication, a Bluetooth wireless communication, or a direct wireless communication compatible with a protocol within IEEE 802.11 standards. Security information, such as a password, biometrics, or a PIN, may be required for establishing the wireless connection. The output device may automatically obtain the security information from the client or may require, in part, user input.
1. A wireless communication method for an output device to establish a wireless communication link with a client of the output device, the output device includes one or more wireless communication units for wireless communication, the wireless communication method comprising:
(1) facilitating, via the one or more wireless communication units within the output device, a wireless device discovery operation for the output device to be wireless device discoverable by the client;
(2) transmitting, via the one or more wireless communication units within the output device, at least an attribute or identification information related to the output device from the output device to the client, the transmitting of the attribute or identification information being subsequent to facilitating the wireless device discovery operation in (1);
(3) implementing, at the output device, a security procedure or an authentication procedure for establishing a wireless communication link between the output device and the client, the implementing of the security procedure or the authentication procedure being subsequent to transmitting the attribute or the identification information from the output device to the client in (2), and the security procedure or the authentication procedure includes one or more of a user name, a password, an ID number, a PIN, an IP address, a security key, a biometric, a fingerprint, or a voice, individually or in any combination;
(4) establishing a wireless communication link between the output device and the client, via the one or more wireless communication units within the output device, the establishing of the wireless communication link based, at least in part, on having implemented the security procedure or the authentication procedure in (3), and the wireless communication link being compatible, at least partly, with at least one protocol within IEEE 802.11 wireless standards or within Bluetooth standards; and
(5) receiving output data from the client and over the established wireless communication link in (4), the output data being related to at least part of a digital content for output or playing at the output device, and the digital content being at least one of an audio content or a video content, individually or in any combination, for output or playing at the output device.